Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Handmade Tissue Paper Flowers and Pompom Garland


You'd think after making hundreds of these for my wedding, I'd be completely sick of them. But I can't help it, I love them so much! I'm a little sad that I didn't save a bouquet of paper flowers from my wedding, but I never thought I'd want to see them again. So I made some for home, only this time as a garland...


...And as bedroom decor...


...And maybe I couldn't resist making just a few little blossoms...



Want to make some? It's so easy!

Materials:
Tissue paper
Heavy-duty scissors
Floral wire

Make sure you use a pair of scissors that you don't mind ruining, because they're going to take a serious beating here. Floral wire can be found at any craft store, or even at Walmart for $1.99. Before we get started, I'm gonna lay out exactly how much paper you'll need to make the project you want. I'm using the American Greetings brand as a standard, but cheaper tissue paper can sometimes come in different sizes and amounts.
For a package of 20" x 25" tissue paper, 8 sheets:

Large flowers (Peonies): 16 per pack
Small flowers (Carnations): 32 per pack
Mini pompoms (Garland): 8 per pack
Small pompoms: 2 per pack
Medium pompoms: 1 per pack*
Large pompoms: 1 per pack

*There will be enough paper leftover from a medium pompom to make flowers or mini pompoms


The flowers are easiest, so lets start there.
For each flower, you'll need to cut about 6" of wire.


Spread the tissue paper out horizontally on the floor or a large table.
Cut a strip up the short side about 6" wide. It doesn't have to be exact.


Now cut the removed strip in half through the width, so you have two 10" x 6" pieces.


Then separate four layers from each side.


Now you have four stacks, which will each make a flower.
Using one of the stacks, begin at one of the long ends and make a horizontal fold, about an inch wide.



Flip the stack over and fold again, like an accordion.


When you're finished folding, it should look like this. Don't worry if the folds don't match up perfectly, or if your last fold was not an even width with the rest of them. No big deal.


Now cut rounded corners through all the layers on each long end. You could also cut points. Personally I think it looks prettier rounded, but whichever. Oh, and do this over a trash can or something, because it gets really messy! If you're having a hard time getting the scissors through all the layers, you can do half at a time. The cuts don't need to match up perfectly either.


Next, cut two little triangle wedges from the center of each side in the middle, like this:


These notches will make it easier to fold the petals out toward the center.
Now wrap your floral wire around the center of the strip, through the notches. If you're making a flower, fold it evenly in half.

Twist the wire around like a bread tie.
Now comes the fun part- Folding!

You can start on one side and alternate back and forth to the other side as you go, or you can fold all of one side and then all of the other. When making the flowers, it doesn't really matter.

Fan out one side as best you can with your left hand, and try to keep them spread out as you gently peel the topmost layer of one side up towards the center. Begin at one edge and work across to the other, shaping the "petals" up as you go.


Here's what it looks like at half finished:

And here's completed!
To make the smaller flower, which looks more like a carnation than a peony, cut the stacks in half lengthwise.


The rest of the steps are the same.
Here's what the flowers look like when the ends are cut at points, on the left:

And here's what they look like cut rounded, on the right:

If you want to put your flowers in a bouquet, you'll need floral tape and wire stems. Just twist your floral wire around the stems, then cover with tape. So easy.

Now the pompoms are pretty much the same thing, just twice as much.
To make the mini pompoms: Instead of splitting the 10" x 6" stacks in half, keep them at eight sheets.
When you fold the wire around the middle, don't fold it in half. Fold over just enough for twisting. The part that sticks out will be folded over to make a loop for hanging.




Folding is pretty much the same as for a flower, but it works better if you alternate sides instead of doing an entire side at a time. This way the pompom stays an even sphere.

If you think of the pompom as hemispheres with the wire being the north pole, you'll fold the northeast and southeast away from each other first. Then follow with the northwest and southwest folded away from each other.

Here's the pompom half folded:


And here's what it looks like when the folding is finished:


Wrap the wire around to make a loop for hanging, and fluff the petals up around to hide it.


For small pompoms, cut an full pack of tissue paper in half for two 12" x 10" stacks:

For medium pompoms, start with a full pack. Cut off a 6" strip. Use the remaining stack.

For large pompoms, use the entire pack.

String some clear fishing line through the loops and hang or tie into a garland:



87 comments:

Tricia said...

These are so super cool!

the rikrak studio said...

wonderful! gorgeous work -and what a great tutorial - i'm going to be making some for a wedding shower coming up - so SUPER thanks for all of the helpful info!

woohoo!

RJ @ A Life Designed said...

So pretty! I love all the colours! I have a mini garland hanging in my office, it never fails to make me smile!

Ruff Haven said...

Love the flowers.....but what i really want to know is what is the green surface you are working on? It is in the background of several photos

Felt on the Fly said...

Great tutorial, Melissa! I think I might have to try these!! Thanks.

Janet

janet said...

Thanks....the perfect thing for a baby shower I am helping with in JUNE...;-)

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelley said...

LOVE it! What a cute and inexpensive way to decorate a room. :)

waterwaif said...

I saw this posted on someone else's blog and didn't realize you had done them! Wonderful tutorial and I'm so glad I found it.

I saw this on craftgawker and had to come check it out. I'm your newest follower. Happy Friday!

~Tara/waterwaif
http://waterwaif.blogspot.com

A Happy Distraction said...

That is so scrumptious. Thanks for the great tut. I want to try it out right now.

Tizzalicious said...

I love them! And your livingroom is absolutely gorgeous!

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks everyone!
And Marianne, the background for the photos is an Ikea rug

Wendy Wright said...

These are super awesome! What a great tutorial with lovely photos you have made for us all to enjoy. :)

Gabby said...

Awesome! How do you hang them from the ceiling?

ocean said...

I think I will start these now for my daughter's PINK party in August. Super cute!!

sistersue said...

I need to make these cuz they are soooooooo cute!

Sharon said...

These are wonderful! They remind me of the "flowers" I used to make as a child using tissues (Kleenex?), dusted with talcum powder to make them scented LOL

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks everyone!
Gabby, I made a little knot in the end of the string and stuck them to the ceiling with thumbtacks

Deslynn said...

Adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
soisses said...

your bedroom is sugar!!! i saw the paper flowers at http://lasupe.blogspot.com/. susanne told me about your fantastic blog.

i will come back again ;-)

Anika said...

These are lovely! But instead of beating up your scissors try a wire cutter--available at any Michael's or even Walmart

zafran said...

These are super awesome! What a great tutorial with lovely photos you have made for us all to enjoy.i really impress thank,s for nice post.

Shay said...

Great idea, and so super easy! I'm starting in on some wedding decorations.. modified mine with alternating colored sheets. I'm not very good at making them poof pretty like yours yet.
Picture of mine here.

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks everyone!
Shay, I love your idea of the alternating colors. I think it might look a little more poofy if you make your accordion folds skinner :)

Brittany said...

i love the flowers but what i really want to know is where did you get that bed spread, I LOVE IT! :)

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks Brittany! The bedspread was a wedding gift, it came from Target in 2009.

Emily Rose Campbell said...

I have always thought this was awesome and have had this page bookmarked for quite some time. I finally decided what to do with it: I am an RA in an all girls dorm and to be serious our common room is very bleh, and with spring coming up what a better thing to do. So next week we are going to do a program and decorate the parlor with these.

SewSweetStitches said...

Awesome, Emily! I'd love to see photos when you're finished :)

Anonymous said...

I have done these before, and the only tip I would give is to make more than you need. They get pretty dusty, so you'll probably need to replace them.

Lesley said...

Fabulous tutorial - thank you.

Anonymous said...

This craft is just what I was looking for!
AND...I love your website! I like the things you post as well as the design of the site it's self. It is the most beautiful site I have ever seen! (and I have been on the internet before "websites" were)
Did you make it your self?

alyssa.michele said...

i had to make a bunch of these for a wine festival during my high school coop haha

they're super cute and easy to make!
great tutorial! :)

Anonymous said...

These are amzing for the poor college student like me!! My bedroom was super boring with white walls till I added these above my bed. I am in love and everyone always ask where I bought them :)
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

awesome! im so using this!!!

KidsParties123 said...

I've been seeing these in store windows and totally wanted to learn how to make them. I've love to share your tutorial on my teen party pages at KidsParties123.com". Also where did you get the fabulous bedspread - I have to have it!

renna deluxe said...

so beautiful! thank you for sharing ;*)

elspethswhimsy said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! This will be PERFECT for my birthday party, which will be out of town and on a budget. I'll make up a bagful and fluff them when I get there! :-D

Allie said...

I love these! I made them today & it was so easy! A perfect addition to my dorm :)

Abigail Leigh said...

Love love love!!!!

sissy said...

i'm working on these for my daughter's 1st bday party this weekend. i have a stamped ceiling... any thoughts on how to hang them?! thanks for the great tutorial!

SewSweetStitches said...

Sissy,
I put a tiny knot in the end of clear fishing line and used a thumbtack to stick them to the ceiling. Once I made these for a party and I didn't want to leave any marks on the ceiling of the rented hall, so I made a T-shape with some masking tape and put it through loops in the string. Hope that helps!

Laurel said...

So fun and easy!

minniemay said...

Love these! Great bright colors too!

paprika said...

iam movign to a new place where i wont be staying for too long..so this is an inexpensive way of making the palce look pretty and more personalised! thanks! goig to try this!:)

love.boxes said...

Mexican paper flowers are one of my favorite things in life, but what you have done with them here makes me giddy with happiness! BEAUTIFUL!

Barb said...

These are so sweet! I love the retro feel to them!

joke said...

they look great.

kele__Creaciones said...

so so beautiful!!! thank´s for the tutorial!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'd love to try the garland - did you use fishing line for that as well? How did you attach the flowers to whatever it is you used? Thanks :)

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks everyone!

I did use clear fishing line for the garland as well. I held the fishing line up to the wall and let it hang down like it would when finished (you'll probably need two people!) Then I measured the finished length of the fishing line and decided how far apart I wanted my pompoms.
Then I threaded the pompom wire loop onto the fishing line and slid it all the way to the other end. I tied the fishing line in a single knot around the wire loop. I tied the next pompom at whatever length I had decided to keep them apart, like 6 inches or something, and continued all the way down the line. Then I hung it on the wall with little clear thumbtacks.

Sarah said...

I would love to use these for a magic show I have coming up this Friday, but I wondered... do you think you could make these with different colored centers? Like a two-tone flower? Do you have any idea how you might do this?

SewSweetStitches said...

Sarah, you can make the bottom half with a different color, or alternate colors every other sheet. For a flower, I guess that would mean the bottom few sheets in a different color, but I've never tried it so I'm not sure how well it would work!

Bine {was eigenes} said...

So sweet!!! Than for this great tutorial!
Best wishes, Bine

Misha said...

Loved this post, am going to give it a go, tho I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the flowers look like flowers like you did- I'll try and posta q if I get stuck, am going to do a post about your blog too.
xxx

Vi said...

I can't find floral wire is there anything else I could use?

MYPINKRAINBOW said...

these are so pretty

Suzy said...

I am having a hard time getting my pom poms to look like a complete sphere without gaps. What am I doing wrong?

Rose B said...

hey, I tried these out and loved them used them to decorate my bed room, I hope you don't mind but I cited you in my blog post and linked to your site. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nicole Hunter said...

Thank you for the tutorial!! I'm making these combined with paper stars as a mobile above my baby's crib! So excited and super cheap!!

jeannie said...

I tried this as soon as I read about them. Little ones are great for putting on presents instead of ribbon. Thank you.

Just Jaime said...

Thank you for the tips! I needed them!! I've made some that just aren't fluffy in all the right places.

Tara said...

When making the really big ones, you use one whole package of tissue paper just for one?

Unknown said...

Such lovely bases for spiders to construct their lovely webs! Hee, hee!

John and April Kandel said...

LOVE these! They are going into my classroom! QUESTION: one photo has some hanging lanterns. Did you make those? If so, how? :)

Anonymous said...

super cool and easy project. I was looking for a cheap way to to decorate my dorm room and found this! the best part is i can premake them and just fluff them up when i arrive on move in day!!! thanks!!!

Send Flowers Pakistan said...

My mother used to make just like these flower with this kind of stuff and we always messed up all her work after compilation of her project.that was really remember days of my childhood.

shahbaz khan said...

I think it will be best ideas to use your collection for Send gifts to Pakistan to my mother. would you like to suggest some more collection about it?

Anonymous said...

How many sheets do I stack up for one flower. I bought a big multi pack of tissue paper. So I'm not sure how many layers of tissue paper I need.

Beloved by Him said...

I found packs of tissue tonight at Target for 1 dollar and spent the last several hours trying different sizes and patterns with the colors i bought--they came out FANTASTIC thank u so much for an awesome tutorial i kept it open on my phone the whole time...i will be using them in my daughter's wedding...love them!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great tutorial! They are all so very beautiful... Thank you so much for explaining "How To" !! One of the best I have seen on making pom poms.. :-)

florists singapore said...

Such a nice blog. I really enjoyed reading it.

Anonymous said...

LOVE THESE! I've been upcycling all the tissue paper I save from victoria's secret to make Valentine's themed bouquets and garland. SUPER cute!

Sidra Aziz said...

Fabolus Totorial...Amazing Colours...I like All Colors...

Meredith said...

I have been looking for how to make thes for a while. Would love to share that I made mine based on your tutorial, with coffee filters! Worked perfect. I died them by submerging filters in a bowl of water mixed with food coloring. When food coloring is out I will use other natural sources to die. Let them sit out a few days to dry and poof....perfect flowers and Pom poms.

artyantics said...

theys are sooooooo hard!!!

singapore florist said...

I want to make sure that it is very important to see whether or not his is something that is going to improve in many way.

mubi jbom said...

Hi,Nice article..
the pics are very nice..
thank you for sharing.
http://www.justbuyflowers.com

Lindsay Boudwin said...

Love these! I have made them from kits before, but this is less expensive and way more versatile! When you make the blossoms for vases do you just not fluff them all the way around? I'm making them for this weekend.

mariya sharapova said...

There are various kinds of gifts which can be given on this day but the most beautiful and appreciated gift is nothing else but the flowers. You can also check cheap flowers delivered free.

Abhishek myflowergift said...

The way of each steps you teach is super.Thanks for giving a wonderful tips.
Send Flowers Ahmedabad

garayjackson said...

Superb Creation. this is ultimate posting. I have designed the flowers for my sister after reading this beautiful post.
midnight Flowers delivery in Delhi

Anne Lawrence said...

This is so cute! What did you use to make your pom poms? Is it just tissue paper you can buy at Walmart? I'd really love to decorate my daughter's room like this!

Send flowers and gifts to Philippines said...

I love the idea of this flower, very creative!

grady williams said...

Nobody can reject the info you have given in the blogs, this is actually a great work. Fake grass cheshire

send flower to Philippines said...

Wow! This is amazing. I might do this on my room after the renovation. Really cool and really girly, it can added more color on the room, literally made it more beautiful.

get rid of cellulite said...

Thanks a lot for sharing. Will check back later for more of your articles.
douchevloer